As we step over the line into October, there’s just no denying it: fall is here and winter is on its way.
The months ahead can be tough on your home’s surfaces and systems, especially in regions of the country like ours here in Westchester and Fairfield Counties. Snow, rain, ice, and frigid temperatures can all take their toll.
The key is to be prepared! First, let’s take a look at a few essential strategies you can employ to protect your property, and then we’ll explore ways you can not only survive the winter, but thrive.
Essential Fall Home Maintenance Tips for Your Fairfield County Home
How many of these items can you check off your to-do list?
- Clean Your Gutters – It’s not necessarily fun, but you’ll thank yourself later. Clogged gutters not only welcome pest issues, but also are the most common culprit behind dangerous ice dams. These dams can lead to water intrusion, damaged gutter systems, and more.
- Check Your Roof – For safety reasons, and to ensure a complete inspection, we recommend hiring a local roofing pro to handle this job. Preventative roof maintenance is easy to overlook or postpone, but catching even small issues early will save you from a massive headache this winter. Damaged flashing, lifting shingles, leaky skylights, etc…
- Check for Wood Rot – A walk around your home can tell you a lot! Points of decay or damage behind overgrown bushes, for example, can lead to larger wood rot problems. A professional painter and/or building contractor can check the health of deck boards and structural elements as well, just to ensure that your home is protected and healthy.
- Service Your Systems – Especially if you have an older heating system, annual inspections and care will help improve efficiency and longevity.
- Give Your Landscaping a Haircut – As we touched on above, overgrown bushes and plants that are allowed to brush up against your home can cause a host of issues. Trimming everything back will protect your exterior surfaces from avoidable wood rot and decay.
How Can You Make the Most of the Winter Season?
Remember how we mentioned not just surviving the winter, but thriving? Here are a few resources that might just offer a little needed inspiration for getting the very most out of these colder months:
- What Is Radiant Heat, and Is It Right for Your Westchester County Home?
- Why Is Wintertime Interior Painting So Good for You and Your Home?
- How Can You Protect Your Hardwood Flooring This Winter?
- 6 Reasons Why Wintertime Should Be Your Home Remodeling Time!
- 4 Simple Ways to Improve the Efficiency of Your Older Home This Winter
If you have any more questions about how to enhance your home here in Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT, we encourage you to call us at Gerety Building & Restoration. It would be our pleasure to serve you!